Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Adventures in serial reading, part 1

I have decided to begin reading Rick Riordan's "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series, which begins with The Lightning Thief. I have it in my To Be Read (TBR) pile, where it will remain for at least a week as I plow through some other books I need to return to the library!

Given that I have such a stack, why am I adding another five books? Because my kids told me to. T and K have both read the series, and their enthusiasm is so high, I want in.

Haven't heard of Percy Jackson? The short version (from Rick Riordan's website) is this:

"What if the gods of Olympus were alive in the 21st Century? What if they still fell in love with mortals and had children who might become great heroes -- like Theseus, Jason and Hercules? 

What if you were one of those children? 

Such is the discovery that launches twelve-year-old Percy Jackson on the most dangerous quest of his life. With the help of a satyr and a daughter of Athena, Percy must journey across the United States to catch a thief who has stolen the original weapon of mass destruction – Zeus’ master bolt. Along the way, he must face a host of mythological enemies determined to stop him. Most of all, he must come to terms with a father he has never known, and an Oracle that has warned him of betrayal by a friend." 

Besides, the movie version of The Lightning Thief comes out on T's birthday, and I want to be able to draw a comparison. Typically, I prefer books to their movie versions, so I will admit to being a bit biased when I say I want to compare.

Watch this page for updates!

No comments: