Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Twilight Saga--the end at last

I finished reading "Breaking Dawn" last night at about 1:00 AM. Yes, that means I only got about 5 hours of sleep. Was it worth it? Only for the sake of saying, "I did it!"

Don't get me wrong. I can appreciate the fact that so many of you find the Twilight saga so much fun to read. I can appreciate the fantasy of having a boyfriend as perfect-seeming as Edward. I can totally appreciate the fantasy of having a second guy as hot (so to speak!) as Jacob competing for one's affections. I mean, honestly. What human being doesn't want to be so irresistible that people will fight over you?

I must admit, however, that I don't see how Bella Swan is that kind of person. Although, after reading "Breaking Dawn," I wonder if maybe the premise of "imprinting" was behind it the whole time. How else to explain it?

What I DID like about "Breaking Dawn" was seeing Bella come into her own with the vampires. She finally found her place in the world. I think I would have liked the whole saga better if it had been just one or two books. Having Bella be such a whinger for three whole books before she was finally made happy in the fourth was too much for me.

And that, friends, is my final word on the matter. (At least until Ginny drags me out to see "Eclipse" at the movie theater this summer.) 

No comments: