Friday, September 18, 2009

Newbery Medal

Quick! What is the Newbery Medal? You don't know? Tsk, tsk. All right, I'll tell you.

The Newbery Medal "... is awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children."

Why am I bringing this up now? Because I had the pleasure of reading the opening pages of this year's Newbery winner to the 6th graders at Pelion Middle School. I was disappointed to discover that so few of the students even knew what the Newbery Medal is.

This year's winner is The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman. When it was announced, I thought, "That's kind of a creepy title for a book labeled the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children." So, of course, I checked it out. Literally. I checked it out from the library. I know, I know. Big shock.

After I read it, I pondered for about 10 seconds before running out to the living room and grabbing Tim by the collar. "You HAVE to read this book!" When he was finished, he said, "Kayleigh HAS to read this book!" So we grabbed her and made her read it. She told me yesterday she wants a copy for Christmas...

Here's the opening line: "There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife."


Browse Inside this book
Get this for your site

No comments: